McKinney-Vento HEART Program Goals and Services
- Maintain consistency in the educational process while living in transitional or temporary housing.
- Provide the same educational opportunities to students in temporary and transitional housing situations as other students receive.
- Engage parents, school and community as full partners in the educational process of students in transitional and temporary housing.
- Provide a connection between school and home.
- Coordinate transportation arrangements for students to remain in their "school of origin".
- Provide necessary school supplies.
- Connect students and their parents with before and after-school programs in their district.
- Facilitate assessment of children and youth in reading, writing and math to make transition to classroom easier and more productive.
- Help school staff locate and compile records for students in temporary or transitional housing who are new to the district
- Connect students and families with appropriate school district and community resources.
- Facilitate orientation for new students and their parents to school.
- Serve as a liaison between school, parents, students and community agencies to meet the educational needs of children and youth.
- Communicate with schools about students in their building, and contact teachers, and school administrators about developing issues.
- Maintain contact with school buildings to support students, staff and parents with issues that pertain to students in transitional and temporary housing situations.