Highly Capable Program
Announcement: Highly Capable Student Referrals Due April 3, 3pm
Students in grades 1-4 can be referred by parents, teachers and community members for testing to determine eligibility for highly capable services through the “Teacher/Parent Referral Form” (link below).
- April 3, 3:00pm – Referral forms due for fall 2020-2021 consideration
- April–May 30: Testing (April) and review of relevant data by Multidisciplinary Selection Committee (May)
- June: Students and parents notified of eligibility for fall 2020-2021 services
Highly capable students perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences or environments. Outstanding abilities are seen within students' general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivities within a specific domain.
Central Valley School District provides a continuum of services to students who qualify.
For elementary grades, the continuum of services includes:
- Able Learner Program (see below)
- Cluster grouping
- Differentiation within the classroom
- Flexible grouping
- Project choice
- Advanced Placement classes or other advanced courses
- Cluster grouping
- Dual enrollment (including Running Start)
- Extended core middle school classes
- Honors classes
- Integrated classroom approaches and differentiation
- Online courses
- Opportunities for course advancement
Ables is a district pull-out program for highly capable students in grades 2 through 5. Ables students have been identified as demonstrating a remarkable potential of high performance in the areas of general intellectual ability, specific academic aptitude, creative or productive thinking, and peer leadership ability. Ables provides specialized services and activities to develop these student’s capabilities to their fullest extent.
Students attend Ables one day a week at Central Valley Virtual Learning (CVVL), 13208 E. Sprague Ave.
2019-2020 Able Learner Program Updates:
First week for Able Learner Program: September 9-13
- Mondays: Third Grade
- Tuesdays: Fifth Grade
- Wednesdays: Fourth Grade
- Thursdays: Second Grade
- Fridays: Second/Third Grade