Human Resources » Non-Discrimination Statement

Non-Discrimination Statement

Non-Discrimination Statement
CVSD does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.

The following are designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination:

Civil Rights, Gender Inclusive, HIB, Title IX Compliance Officer:
Director of Special Projects Phone: 509-558-5400 | Email: [email protected]

Section 504, ADA Compliance Officer: 
Executive Academic Officer Phone: 509-558-5400 | Email: [email protected] 2218 N. Molter Road, Liberty Lake, WA 99019

Complaints about Discrimination, Discriminatory Harassment and Sexual Harassment

What is discrimination?
Discrimination is unfair or unlawful treatment of a person or group because they are part of a defined group, known as a protected class. Discrimination may include treating a person differently or denying someone access to a program, service, or activity because they are part of a protected class, or failing to accommodate a person’s disability.

What is a protected class?
A protected class is a group of people who share common characteristics and are protected from discrimination and harassment by federal, state, or local laws. Protected classes under Washington state law include sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, veteran or military status, and the use of a trained dog guide or service animal.

How do I file a complaint about discrimination?
If you believe that you or your child has experienced unlawful discrimination or discriminatory harassment at school based on any protected class, you have the right to file a formal complaint. For a full copy of the school district’s nondiscrimination procedure 5010P, visit or contact the school district at (509) 558-5400.

Before filing a complaint, you may wish to discuss your concerns with your student’s principal or with the designees above. This is often the fastest way to revolve your concerns.