Section 504 » Parent & Student Rights

Parent & Student Rights

These rights are designed to keep you fully informed about the district's decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of those decisions.
You have the right to:
  • Have your child participate in and benefit from the district's education program without discrimination based on disability.
  • An explanation of your and your child's rights under Section 504.
  • Receive notice before the district takes any action regarding the identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.
  • Refuse consent for the initial evaluation and initial placement of your child.
  • Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes your child's right to be educated with non-disabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to have the district provide related aids and services to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school activities.
  • Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided to non-disabled students.
  • Have your child receive special education services if she/he needs such services.
  • Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions for your child based upon information from a variety of sources, such as aptitude and achievement tests, teacher recommendations, physical conditions, medical records and parental observations, by a group of persons who know your child, your child's evaluation data, and placement options.
  • Have your child be provided an equal opportunity to participate in non-academic and extracurricular activities offered by the district.
  • Have educational and related aids and services provided to your child without cost except for those fees imposed on the parents/guardians of non-disabled children.
  • Examine your child's education records and obtain a copy of such records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.
  • A response to your reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child's education records.
  • Request the district to amend your child's education records if you believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy rights of your child. If the district refuses this request, you have the right to challenge such refusal.
  • Request mediation or an impartial due process hearing to challenge actions regarding your child's identification, evaluation, or placement. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you. Hearing requests can be made to the CVSD Section 504 Coordinator. (see Contacts at right).
  • If your child is eligible under Section 504, your child has a right to periodic reviews, including re-evaluations before any significant change is made in your child's placement.
  • Ask for payment of reasonable attorney's fees if you are successful on your claim.
  • File a local grievance or a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or file a complaint in federal court. Generally, an OCR complaint may be filed within 180 calendar days of the act you believe was discriminatory. The regional office is located at 915 Second Ave, Room 3310, Seattle, WA 98174-1099. Phone: 206.607.1600/TDD: 206.607.1647. Website:
  • Students with ADHD have rights under Section 504. Learn more here: Know Your Rights: Students with ADHD
  • For additional resources: OSPI Section 504 & Students with Disabilities