MEMBRANE STUDY GUIDE Ch 8
1. What evidence supports the fluid mosaic model of the cell membrane?
2. What is meant by membrane fluidity?
3. How is fluidity reduced in animal cells?
4. Describe the orientation of the membrane proteins
5. How are the two sides of the membrane different?
6. List and briefly define the roles of the membrane proteins.
7. What membrane structures are important for cell-cell recognition?
9. How are molecules transported that do not easily cross the membrane?
10. Define the following:
11. What is happening in the diagram below?
12. What do cells do when placed in solutions that are:
13. How does the Paramecium maintain osmoregulation?
14. What is meant by facilitated diffusion?
15. How do active and passive transport differ?
16. The sodium-potassium pump uses __________________ to pump __________________
out of the cell and _______________ into the cell.
17. How does the membrane generate voltage?
18. What can the cell do with the voltage generated in the membrane?
19. Define cotransport and give an example.
20. What is the difference between exocytosis and endocytosis?
21. Describe an example of receptor-mediated endocytosis.
22 What is osmotic potential?