1. Science grades will be based upon demonstrated mastery of course objectives (see Standards page). 80% of the grade is based on assessment scores and the remaining 20% is based on student notebooks. Notebooks will include notes, homework, and class activities.
2. Tests will be organized by concept and each concept will receive a separate score in the grade book.
3. Only test scores of 80% or higher will be entered into the grade book initially. Scores below 80% do not represent mastery and will be entered as "0" (incomplete.)
4. Students scoring below 80% on any concept(s) will take a MANDATORY IN-CLASS RETEST on only those concepts.
5. Students scoring between 80% and 100% can choose to take an OPTIONAL RETEST that will replace their original score.
6. Students still scoring below 80% after the in-class retest are allowed ONE ADDITIONAL RETEST before or after school at my discretion. This may be done in the ZAP room for supervision if I am not available after school.
*** ANY/ALL RETEST SCORES WILL REPLACE ORIGINAL SCORES, EVEN IF THE NEW SCORE IS LOWER.
7. At the end of each trimester, there will be a FINAL EXAM weighted as one test grade. Final Exams will be organized and scored by concept. These concept scores will replace any lower grade book entries (including 0's.) FINAL EXAM SCORES CAN ONLY RAISE PREVIOUS GRADE BOOK ENTRIES. NO ENTRIES ALREADY IN THE GRADE BOOK WILL BE LOWERED.
I realize that this is a change from the usual grading systems that you have seen in the past. Because the Science Standards are so clear, everything we do in class aligns with them, and they should be achievable for all eighth grade students. It is important that you talk to your child about this. They are expected to master EACH individual concept at 80%. Also remind them that they will have the opportunity for review and extra help prior to retesting. If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 228-4738.