The school year at Central Valley High School is divided into two semesters. Students take six academic classes and also have Advisory class each semester. Three days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Friday, CV is on a six period day with students going to all six classes. School begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 2:15 p.m. on these three days.
On Wednesdays, students attend only periods 1, 3 and 5 for longer class periods. On Thursdays, students attend only periods 2, 4 and 6. Students attend Advisory Class on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The Advisory Program is scheduled to maintain the student-adult connection. Advisors will work with students in support of schedule/course planning, grade level administrative activities, progress check distribution and other non-curricular activities. Because of computer programming issues, this class is shown on the students’ schedule as ADV 7th period.
TAZ: TAZ (Tutorial, Access, and Zap) is an academic support class scheduled for all students on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1:53 – 2:15 p.m. This is a combination of our old Tutorial Advisory Period (TAP), Student Access Time, and ZAP (Zeros Aren’t Permitted) programs.
· A student can earn his/her way out of this extra support class by passing all his/her classes and having all assignments turned in
· It is intended to provide students with extra time to make up missing assignments, missing classes, and/or failing grades.
· A student who needs to attend TAZ will be notified by his/her teacher and told which classroom to report to.
· It is also a great opportunity for students to get extra help in on a voluntary basis from any teacher.
· Any student not attending TAZ as assigned will be counted as truant and will receive disciplinary consequences. Again, students must attend TAZ unless they EARN THEIR WAY OUT BY PASSING THEIR CLASSES AND HAVING ALL ASSIGNMENTS TURNED IN.
· Students who have earned their way out of TAZ will be allowed to go home at 1:53 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays, or wait in the Commons for the bus during TAZ time.