CV Check Out Procedures—Quick Reference
1. Absence Message Line—228-5101 Parents notify the absence line by telephone prior to the student leaving school (preferably one to three days prior to the appointment.) with the following information: Students last name (spelling the name) person calling name and relationship to the student and the reason for the absence (Dr, Dent, Court, counseling apt or a general reason) for the absence.
Attendance Secretary--228-5120—Call for appointments just made or for an emergency.
2. Parent sends a note with the student for teacher notification to enable the student to leave class. The note may also be presented to the attendance office to excuse the student. Notes are not recommended at the attendance office, but will be accepted and verified as necessary.
3. At the proper time, the student checks out through the attendance office.
4. Parents can pick up the student in front of CVHS, or come in to the attendance office if desired. Doctor notes may be provided upon the student’s return to school. They may also be faxed by the doctor to CVHS at 228-5109 attention Carol Mead.
5. Check your student’s attendance on-line weekly to assure accuracy.
More CVHS Attendance Information
LEAVING EARLY---CVHS is a closed campus, so all students leaving early MUST stop at the Attendance Office to check out before leaving the building. This is a double check to see if a parent/guardian has given the student permission to leave. Students are to sign out. Failure to check out will result in an unexcused absence, even if a parent calls in to excuse them.
ARRIVING LATE---Students also must check in at the Attendance office if arriving late: teachers may require a pass to class, and the Attendance Office will correctly excuse students from class at the end of the day.
Students walking into class 10 minutes or more late will be marked absent, rather than tardy.
We prefer PHONE CALLS from parents or legal guardians to excuse a student’s absence. Notes are not recommended, but will be accepted and verified as necessary.
If your student is going to be absent for the day, please call the Absence line 228-5101 to inform us, even if you’ve informed their teachers.
If your student has an appointment, or has to leave school early, call the Absence Line at 228-5101, informing us of the student’s name and the time to leave. This may be recorded and ready for check out when the student arrives at our window. If not, we will have your student call you for permission to leave school.
Prearranged Parent Notification for absences beyond one day (required form available in the Attendance Office or online must be turned in before student’s absence; written request and/or a phone call are needed.)
If unexcused absences occur, an automated courtesy call in the evening (usually between 5:30-8 PM) is sent out to make you aware that your student was unexcused from certain periods. The calling system will not call long distance phone numbers. Washington State Law requires that if a student has 5 days of unexcused absences within a month, or 10 days of unexcused absences in a year, that you be notified with a Becca conference letter and court action (Becca Bill) could result. A student/parent/administrator conference will be scheduled prior to court action. Absences cannot be excused after 48 hours without administrative approval.
Please note that the state law and board policy (at www.cvsd.org) recognize the following as excusable absences:
—Death in Immediate Family
—Illness (Please give symptoms if it is a flu-like illness for accurate Health Department reporting.)
—Doctor, Dentist, Court or Counseling appointments (Appointment verification may be requested.)
QUESTION AN ABSENCE? Please e-mail or call the teacher who marked your student absent. They are the ones who can confirm absence or report error.
Homework: You may e-mail the teacher directly to receive homework or request homework be ordered by the Attendance Office after a student has missed 3 days of school, and then in 3 to 4 day intervals thereafter. Please give teachers 24 hours to put the homework together and call to see if the homework has been sent to the main office at 228-5100 before you come to pick it up.
Attendance Line: 228-5120 (live person)
Absence Line: 228-5101 (voice mail)