- Always keep hydrated! If you know that your are going to be singing, make sure to start drinking WATER at least 2 HOURS before hand. It takes your body that long to transfer the water to the cells of your vocal folds.
Other hydrators that are safe for your voice are:
- Crystal Light
- Decaffeinated/Herbal Tea
- Flavored waters
- If you have a dreaded HEAD COLD here are some of the medications that won't dry out your throat and will help you get better.
- If you have a sore throat, here is "Dr. Gould's Gargle Recipe" that will have you feeling better in no time!
- Inhale steam/humidifier 2-3 minutes prior to gargling
- Combine 1/2 tsp. salt (exfoliates and cleans your vocal folds)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (anti-bacterial and anti-fungal)
1/2 tsp. clear KARO syrup (soothing coating)
6 oz. if warm water
- Gargle with the solution 2-3 times per day for 7 days.
- No eating 20-30 minutes after so it has plenty of time to absorb into your vocal folds.
- If you are hoarse for more than 2 weeks see your doctor. MAKE SURE to tell your doctor that you are a singer, so they don't prescribe you a medication that will dry you out!
THINGS TO AVOID:
- Avoid screaming/yelling if you know you will be needing to sing in the next 1-6 hours. This will keep your voice fresh and ready for the exercise you will be giving it in the future. (Yes, that means no Rock and Roll concerts or athletic events the night before/day of our concert! :-> )
- Avoid eating/drinking anything with caffeine.
- Avoid dairy products before you sing.