Attending School Board Meetings
Welcome to a Meeting of your School Board
Board meetings are held for the purpose of setting or amending district policy, acting on recommendations by the Superintendent on matters ranging from personnel to maintenance of facilities, adopting an operating budget and tax rate for the district, and authorizing the spending of budgeted funds. All votes are recorded and minutes are kept on permanent record.
Times and Location
- You will be asked to fill out a card listing your name, address, and other information. These cards will allow the Board president to introduce you to the other Board members and allow the recording secretary to add your name and information to the official minutes.
- You will be given three (3) minutes to share your thoughts or ideas with the Board. Time restrictions apply to all speakers and a timekeeper will track the time. A cumulative total of 30 minutes is set aside at each meeting for this agenda item.
- Any handouts should be given to the Superintendent for distribution to Board members. The Board will not review handouts during your time at the podium.
- As you share your remarks, please address the Board. Do not turn and speak to the audience.
- The Board will not respond to your questions or comments during their meeting. Should you have questions, please put them in writing and send to the Superintendent’s office in care of the Central Valley School Board. Every attempt, either by board members or staff, will be made to answer your questions in a timely manner.
- Handouts should be sent to the Superintendent’s Office or the Executive Director overseeing your program at least one week in advance. If you’re presenting a specific curriculum, copies of the materials are not expected by the Board, but can be used during your presentation. All curriculum materials being considered for adoption will be left in the Board Room following your presentation to allow board members to review them at a time that best meets their schedule.
- PowerPoint presentations should be sent to Superintendent’s Office or the Executive Director overseeing your program at least one week in advance. They will make sure the presentation is operational during the meeting. The Board will have direct access to the presentation on their laptop computers at their desks during the presentation. PowerPoint presentations with a white background are encouraged. Remember that the most effective PowerPoint presentation is not one read directly from the screen.
- A timeline for your presentation will be assigned by the Executive Director overseeing your program. To stay within these parameters, please plan your presentation well in advance.
- Board members may ask questions during or after your presentation to clarify their thoughts or seek further information. Your willingness to answer their questions to the best of your ability is most appreciated.